Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Due date day

So yeah, today is my due date.  It's after 9pm.  Baby Gecko is not coming tonight for sure.  Although ... I have had some irregular contractions.  But not enough to make me think anything is happening for sure.

Today was interesting.  I had yoga this morning, which was nice as always.  I also found out that my yoga teacher does induction massage, so that's another alternative.  Multiple people have recommended a chiropractor who does prenatal stuff, and has an office just down the street from me, but I called several times and got voicemail and an email I sent was not returned.  So I am not sure what's going on with that.

Anyway, another to-do item on my list was to call the OB office and see if they wanted me to come in for an appointment this week, since my only other scheduled appointment was for next Thursday, at which point I would be 41 weeks 2 days, and one day away from a c-section.  They said yes, so I went and saw my regular midwife.  I told her about feeling the baby a bit less than usual, and calling Friday night to report it, and she thought it best if I have a non-stress test and AFI (amniotic fluid index ultrasound).  Since I had brought my kids and au pair with me planning on a 10-15 minute appointment, it was a bit stressful (ha!), since it ended up taking an hour and a half.

I only did the non-stress test, I'm doing the AFI tomorrow.  The baby looked good - he started kicking a ton (of course!) before settling down and being quiet for the rest of the test.  The nurse took forever to consult the doctor, and then came back and said the doctor wanted more monitoring - she wanted to see one more set of kicks and how his heartbeat would respond.  That took at least another ten minutes, and then a while for the doctor to review it again.  In the end, all looked good.  In the meantime, I had several contractions which showed up on the monitors and made me realize that all the weird crampiness that's been going on the last week or so has been contractions.

So, here we are.  I've warned my sister and my doulas that I'm having contractions, albeit few and far between and it's been happening on and off for days, but you never know.  Better to have some advance warning just in case.  I'm not totally sure what to do now - try to push things and see if it's real or false labor?  Just rest?  Go on with life as if it were false labor, i.e. finish cleaning, folding laundry, prepping for the house cleaners to come tomorrow?  Go on with life as if it were real labor and finish packing my hospital bag and getting stuff like the cosleeper and car seat completely ready?  I don't really have any idea.  I've been encouraged to take a bath, but I already showered today and don't really feel like hanging out in the tub.  So ... I dunno.  I guess I will just do a few more chores and then try to relax a bit.

Wish me luck, please!  Will update with news when I have it.


  1. I'm thinking that you've likely had your baby by now. Hope all is well with you both and that you are all adjusting to being a family of 5! :-)

  2. I'm hoping you had your little gecko! I hope things are going well!! :)


Thanks for sharing your thoughts!