Friday, March 27, 2009

Not what I was expecting

Just got back from the RE, and the news was … unexpected. I have two eggs on the right that are ready to go (I think they were 24x22, and 22x21) and one on the left that might make it or might not (around 16x16).


The problem is, we will be out of town for a wedding this weekend, and I expected the IUI to be Monday or Tuesday. Unfortunately, the doctor said it really should be Sunday or we risk the eggs going on their own, before the trigger, because of that biggest one. We’ll be at a wedding in Southern California on Saturday, and we planned to have a vacation day on Sunday. Crap!


The doctor gave us three options in her order of preference –

  1. Do the trigger tonight and come in Sunday morning (driving back during the night Saturday, I guess? That would be REALLY hard - it's a 6-7 hour drive)
  2. Do the trigger tonight and try the old-fashioned way (since we’re unexplained, well, that might not really be a problem – I guess I will probably just worry about hostile mucus)
  3. Wait to do the trigger tomorrow and do an IUI on Monday, risking the eggs releasing on their own and missing it.


The doctor said that she wouldn’t miss the wedding or ruin the weekend for the IUI, and I think she’s talked us into option #2. I really hope we don’t regret it.


I would love to get opinions from anyone who’s reading (feel free!), but it will probably be too late to actually help me, since we are about to hop into the car to head to Santa Barbara, and I don’t know if I’ll have internet for the weekend.

Still … what would you do?

2 comments:

  1. Well darned! Well...I guess the news could always be worse - there might not have been ANY mature follicles at all, leaving with absolutely NO options!

    Even before I read the doctor's options my gut instinct said to trigger tonight and then proceed with the timed intercourse.

    I hope and pray that that's all it will take! Enjoy your wedding weekend away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you enjoyed your weekend away! and i hope you made a baby too :)
    i love santa barbara!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!