Tuesday, October 20, 2009

IVF #1 - CD 7

Good news! My husband is not really sick anymore. He had a pretty bad weekend of fever and sore throat and headache and general achiness, but now he only has a cough as far as I can tell. And I don't seem to have caught anything from him (knock on wood).

I've had a horrific headache, but I'm chalking that up to my IVF meds, because I think that's one of the side effects. And also the headache has been coming and going since last week sometime and I don't have any other symptoms other than a very mild cough which also doesn't seem to be developing into anything else.

ANYWAY. Husband will hopefully move back to the bed tonight and I will hopefully get a hug and kiss for the first time in a week. I can't say I'm not excited.

But bad news too! The house we're trying to buy - goodness what a mess. The owner is an elderly woman who has already moved out of state and may be incompetent to enter into a contract. We don't know what's going on with the other offer. We gave our realtor numbers to write up an offer, and then never heard back, so we called him last night ... it turns out he was beaten up by the parent of one of his daughter's field hockey teammates at a game. I can't believe people actually do shit like that - what the hell is wrong with people?! Our realtor is such a nice guy, in a genuine nice guy kind of way, not a schmoozy realtor kind of way.

A little house-hunting background, skip this if you don't care: We've been looking for a house for about three years. We live in Davis, a university town near Sacramento, with a small-town feel, a very active involved population, great restaurants, and growth limits. Meaning, almost no new houses get built ever. And everyone wants to live there. So houses are expensive. You know how house prices in some parts of the country dropped by 50% recently? Not in Davis - we've seen pretty much no decline in prices at all, and prices were pretty expensive here to begin with. On top of that, even the "cheap" houses aren't worth it because they are typically student rentals and are mostly destroyed - old, filthy, falling apart, garages converted into extra bedrooms, etc. Sellers expect that buyers will rent out the houses again, not live in them. Also, yards are very small, so it's not like you can even buy a house for the land and remodel or rebuild and have a nice yard. The house we've found has a nice big yard which is mostly grass, so we could landscape how we like. It is small enough for us to manage, but big enough for a family. It doesn't need any remodeling before moving in, except maybe replacing the carpet in the bedrooms with wood, because we hate carpet. It's expensive, and it's not in the best location, but there aren't any good houses in the "best" locations in Davis. It might be a long time before we find another place like this in Davis. It's not our dream house, but it's close enough that I'll be sorry if this doesn't work out. And I don't expect to find another house we'll like anytime soon - rather than selling in this market, people are generally just renting their houses out - even if you don't want undergrads, there are plenty of grad students, researchers, and professors here. So there isn't much on the market at this point either. It's a dismal situation.

OK, back to IVF! Today is CD 7; my CD 9 ultrasound is Thursday! Only 5 more injections until then, one of which I'm about to take care of. Fingers are crossed for an appropriate number of well-behaved, nice-sized follies! Egg retrieval is probably within a week!

7 comments:

  1. For the headaches drink more water. The last two times for IVF I'd keep getting headaches and it was because I was dehydrated. Also higher protein intake sometimes helps I think. Good luck with the ultrasound on Thursday. I hope you soon hear good news on your house too. Interesting about Davis. I know in Sacramento it seemed that prices were fairly low to what they had been but it makes sense why they stay higher there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the headaches -- I think they're pretty normal (I had them, and the doctor didn't seem concerned), but they still suck. I hope everything moves along smoothly as you near your retrieval!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to the headaches! I hope they ease up soon. Househunting is stressful at the best of times, I can't even imagine how anxious you must be. Sending prayers and good thoughts for your cycle (grow follies grow!) and for the hunt for a place for your family to call home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry the house stuff isn't going well :(.

    I can't believe your retrieval is only a week away! Good luck with your ultrasound on Thursday, and I hope your headaches improve :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard headaches are pretty common - but that doesn't really help much, does it? :) I'm glad you're doing well - and hope the house situation works out. Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh I sould've clicked over and read this instead of reading in my Reader. The green font was A LOT easier to read with a black background ;o) No "smart points" for me today!

    Glad Hubby is feeling better. Enjoy those hugs and kisses tonight! Good luck on thursday. Sending you and your flooies lots of "growing" vibes!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you got lots of hugs and kisses last night! Glad to hear that your husband is feeling better. I am about a week behind you and have been following off and on just to see what it has been like for you. I haven't had any friends do IVF, so I have been nervous not knowing what to expect. I have had a few headaches as well, so I have been drinking water a lot. However, it isn't helping all that much. Good luck with your ultrasound tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!