Sunday, October 11, 2015

Getting closer

Well.  I'm almost 37 weeks.  I'm still feeling that weird sensation that time is moving both too fast and too slow, that we're almost to the end of this, and that the end is creeping up ever so slowly.  I have various preferences of when I'd like this baby to come ... after the au pair, if possible, but not waiting TOO long because of the risk of pre-eclampsia or not going into labor at all.  Right around my due date would be pretty darn ideal.

So far my blood pressure is looking awesome.  My ankles are starting to look a bit swollen, but some swelling is normal, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective.  I am still wearing my wedding ring, although it's getting hard to slip it off, and my shoes all still fit, even if they are starting to feel a tiny bit tight.  I know there's nothing out of the ordinary going on, yet, but I'm still trying to stay aware of any possibility of pre-eclampsia.

I had a last-minute appointment with my midwife this past week, and I asked what would happen if I developed pre-eclampsia again.  She basically said that would not be good for my plans for VBAC, etc., that at the very least they'd probably try to get my on some blood pressure medication, and that she seriously doubted it would recur with this pregnancy.  SO!  Keeping my fingers crossed.

I finished my coffee table!  Here is a picture.


The house is a mess, and the arm of our rocking chair is in the foreground which looks a little weird, but you get the idea.  I also got our side patio, which I've been using as my work space, mostly cleaned up.  Since that patio is right off the guest room where our au pair will be staying, that was pretty crucial.

I'm also working on our little boy's Christmas stocking, which is going pretty quickly since I'm machine stitching it all this time around.  I expect to finish most of the detail work quite soon.  One of the reasons I'm making this a priority is not only that I doubt I'll have time to work on it after the baby comes, but I have to move all my sewing stuff out of the guest room, so it's nice to use it before I stow it away and it's not so easily accessible.

We're looking into buying a new car.  I have a ton of chores and errands to do before the au pair comes in just a week and a half.  We're still so busy with soccer, swimming, violin, social activities, school, and with housework and actual work.  I'm looking forward to being done with soccer and swimming for the fall, and never signing up for multiple sports again.  It's actually our last week of swimming, so that break is going to be so nice.

I meet with the lactation consultant for the university study I'm participating in on Tuesday.  I also need to schedule two meetings with my doulas, but I don't know how to fit it in, since I want my husband to be there and our evenings are getting quite full.  I wish I hadn't waited quite so long to get things moving on both of those fronts, but it can't be helped now.

Anyway, it is late, I'm tired, and I need to get to bed.  Only a few weeks to go, and so much to do.

If anyone is still reading ... I'd love some suggestions for a welcome package for our au pair.  She's a 21-year-old girl who has never been to the US before, and I don't think has ever lived on her own before.  I'm so used to traveling now that I can't remember what it was like at that age.  What would make her feel welcome and at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!