Monday, May 23, 2011

Life is cuh-razy!

Babies hit 10.5 months recently (two days ago?), and now they're both walking. It's really insane, although I didn't realize that learning to walk would be a months-long process (thank freaking goodness). Luckily right now they are both really slow and end up crawling a lot. I cannot even imagine what life will be like when they are walking reasonably well and/or running.

We had a barbecue on Sunday and invited some of our friends with babies and a few moms from my new mom's group, and it went really well. However, it's the first time we've entertained with them awake since they've become mobile, and it was completely insane. I learned a lot, like why pools NEED to be fenced in when you have young children and how hamburgers are not really an easy barbecue choice because they need buns and condiments and lettuce and tomato and cheese and so on and so forth and while you are slicing and toasting and sticking spoons in and shuttling all that stuff back and forth you can't keep an eye on your kids while they are both heading straight for the pool, and even if you CAN keep an eye on them, it's really hard to grab them both while your husband is manning the grill. I also apparently forgot every lesson I ever learned about run-on sentences.

But Saturday, that was awesome. Really. Since we've decided to start getting babysitters to come after the kids go to bed so we can go out to eat, we've mostly gone to fancy restaurants, because we can't do that sort of thing with the kids. It started getting a little old. We did use to like to go to nice places, but not that often, and interspersed with casual places and sandwich shops. Going to only nice places, over and over again, actually gets a little boring. SO! We decided (and it was ALL MY IDEA) to do what we used to do for fun regularly - we went to the climbing gym, completely wore ourselves out in less than an hour, and then went for dinner at a casual restaurant. And then went home relatively early and went to bed. And it was AWESOME. And that was after an already-fun-filled day of going to the farmer's market with friends and then the public swimming pool.

Maybe I am crazy, but I actually like being sore after working out, and it hasn't happened much lately. So now I've been a little sore for a couple days, and it means that the awesomeness of the date is still with me and it makes me happy. Which is good, since I haven't done anything healthy for myself since then, but I am completely determined that this week, I will go biking and running at least once each. And maybe, just maybe, I'll go climbing again (oh I hope so!).

Here's to a good week for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a great day! :) Family date night is a GREAT idea! You are so disciplined to be working out. I need to get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!