Tuesday, September 22, 2015

34 weeks, au pair decisions, VBAC, oh my!

Well, writing this blog can be cathartic, so here goes.

I picked an au pair.  She was my second choice, and I had already told the first choice person that he'd been chosen, then the agency said no, then we tried working through another agency and this morning they made me extremely uneasy by basically admitting that they don't have an agent close enough to our house but they're working hiring a friend to do it and asked if I had any friends who wanted to do it just in case.  It smacked MAJORLY of unprofessionalism and shadiness, and I just couldn't stomach it anymore.  I contacted the original agency, whose deadline was last night at midnight, and they said if I could submit the online request within 30 minutes, they could backdate it to yesterday.  I checked quickly and our second choice au pair was not online, so I went ahead and picked her and submitted our payment information.  It was nerve-wracking.  I basically didn't sleep last night after missing the deadline.  Then I emailed the au pair and we connected today, and now I just have to tell the other one that after all we've been through, it's just not going to work out.  I'm dreading it.

I'm not totally at ease with our au pair.  Our conversation doesn't exactly flow the way it does when I spoke with our first choice.  I think he would have been a better fit for our family.  But this girl will be fine - she seems responsible, and will take care of our kids, which is the most important thing.  A great rapport and similar values would have been icing on the cake, but it just wasn't going to happen.

Today I'm 34 weeks.  I can't believe I'm 3 weeks away from Early Full Term.  Holy crap.  I need to set some goals for the next three weeks.  Here are some bullet points, my favorite!


  • Need to get stuff out of the garage that we will need at the very beginning.  Wash bottles.  Figure out where Nameless will sleep.  
  • I got my pump ordered and it will ship in a few days.  Yay!!!!!!
  • I need to prepare for the au pair.  Have a working bike.  Clean out the bedroom a bit more.  Get clean sheets on the bed that aren't our guest sheets.  Find out more about her, and work on having her get to know our family, and our kids.
  • I have a few crafts I want to do.  Primarily, finish the freaking coffee table I've been working on FOREVER, and make Nameless a Christmas stocking to match his big sister and brother's.  I also would like to make Christmas pillow covers for our two couch pillows, but that's really a huge bonus if I get around to it.
  • PICK A NAME.  We're really having trouble.  Like big time.
  • I need to get stuff from my friend up in the foothills, and she doesn't seem like she's going to be coming down here, in spite of her many promises to do so.  The one main thing she has that I need are our swaddling blankets.  I can get some pretty inexpensively, but it seems a shame to buy new when I have some that my friend isn't even using.  Need to figure that out, for sure.
  • Get everyone in the family immunized for whooping cough and flu.  Including the au pair.
Today I also have my VBAC consult.  In about an hour, actually.  I have a huge list of questions, a few of which are just related to pregnancy in general and not the VBAC.

I drank my first cup of red raspberry leaf tea today.  I don't know why I didn't do that during my last pregnancy, or maybe I did and I don't remember.  I'm getting ready.  Pretty excited, actually!!!

And that's it for now.  The kids are keeping me quite busy, and stress is making it hard for me to concentrate.  After last night and this morning, stressing about the au pair situation, I felt like I used to feel in college after pulling an all-nighter amped up on caffeine - exhausted, jittery, and completely useless.  In fact, I've accomplished just about nothing today, and I have to leave for the doctor soon.  It's time to get life back under control!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!