Sunday, April 11, 2010


It really is mid-weekend right now - 4:40am on Sunday morning. Insomnia strikes again! My husband, who has nagged me incessantly (and rightly so) to make a doctor's appointment, finally won, and on Tuesday I go see a family doctor to ask why this keeps happening to me (and who hopefully will listen when I say this was a pre-pregnancy phenomenon and therefore not caused by the pregnancy, even if that's exacerbating things).

I am finally accumulating a few baby things. I may have already mentioned the baby books I bought, which I'm hoping my husband will help fill out (I think it would be nice if the pages about his family and history are in Italian, for one thing). I had a few things from the RE that they gave us in our congratulatory bag - two cute onesies, a horrible plastic rattle (I'm not a fan of mixing babies and plastic), and an extremely strong-smelling baby lotion (not sure if I should keep this or not - it's SO strong, I can't imagine babies liking it).

Now I have a few things from friends or coworkers - a baby bathtub, a little cosleeper thing (which would also work on a couch to keep one baby from rolling off), and a bouncy chair with lights, music, and vibration.

And today, I dragged my poor husband out of bed early (for a Saturday) to go to a Mothers of Multiples Club sale about 30-45 minutes away. Unfortunately, apparently you need to get there before it even starts to have a chance at the good stuff (like double-strollers), so all I got was two crib sheets and some receiving blankets. Still, now I feel like I'm finally starting to prepare.

Tomorrow is birthing class #2 (or I guess it's actually later today). I'm excited! And, I'm going to try to go to our hazardous waste drop-off and finally get rid of all my used (and unused) needles, before my in-laws arrive from Italy on Thursday.

Which brings up an interesting point - I still have a few things infertility related. I was going to give them to a friend who was about to start IVF, and then she got pregnant on her own, and now I don't know what to do with the stuff. It includes a vial of Follistim, several vials of PIO, a Follistim pen, and a bunch of supplies like needles, alcohol wipes, etc. Mostly, I don't know what to do with the meds - and I don't know if/how to ship the Follistim if I give it away, since it needs to stay refrigerated (and I guess I need to check the expiration too). Any advice?


  1. So sorry about the insomnia. I have to get up about every two - three hours to pee, but at least I can sleep inbetween.

    My last IVF cycle, I used two GonalF pens that a fellow blogger sent me, and she sent them in a bubble package with an ice pack in them. I'm sure she probably had to go to the post office and ask about how to ship them. I think they were VERY lucky pens, since both of us conceived with that batch! Plus, it saved me about $900! I'd maybe see if Mel at Lost and Found would let you "advertise" them.

  2. i had lots of meds left, as well as needles, alcohol wipes and all that. i donated them back to my RE's office and they gave them to another patient who didn't have RX coverage. Just a thought.

  3. I was going to suggest talking to your RE's office, to see if they can go to someone who can't afford the meds. (BTW, I never did say thank you for your kind offer of the progesterone/PIO a few weeks ago! so THANK YOU!) I hope you are able to find a good 'home' for them.

  4. Hope your doctor gives you some advice/help with the insomnia. As for the IVF drugs, I took mine to my doctor's office. Not sure if your's will take them, but you could always try.

  5. As far as the meds go I would say that you should check the PIO for expiration. It often expires fairly quickly. I had 3 vials I got in Feb for the FET that wasn't and they already expired. I was just going to take them to work and dump them (side benefit of working in a hospital). The follistim would be fine if you shipped it un-refrigerated as some of mine came that way when I did my IVF and it was fine but if you really wanted to ship it refrigerated it's like 70 to ship fed ex overnight, get a soft insulated lunch bag thing with the blue ice packs and send it that way. That's what I did with one vial I had left. I still have tons of syringes that I have no idea what to do with. I'm not very inclined to give much of anything to the clinic at the moment as I'm not very happy with them.


Thanks for sharing your thoughts!