Life is getting away from me. The kids turned 3. It was wonderful. They are wonderful, and difficult and beautiful and challenging and the most amazing people I've ever known. They're taking swim lessons, and Tadpole can swim! She's awesome! Turtle is capable, but too scared, which is ok.
They speak fluent Italian, and are improving their English every day. They play together a lot. They fight a lot, too. We've been camping with them a couple times. It's been fun, and we're learning more about how to make it work each time. I'm in the process of planning a big camping trip at the end of the summer. I'm very excited.
What else is going on?
- Turtle is potty training, pretty much on his own. It's really nice. Tadpole doesn't really get it yet, and that's ok.
- I informed the Waldorf school that the kids won't be attending. It almost broke my heart, I LOVE that school, but I think it's best for the kids not to have more changes in their lives. I still meant to write about that. The gist of it is that they've adapted well to their current school, they're making friends, they're happy to go, they have some good programs (like swimming and soccer), and I don't think it's worth the upheaval of moving them at this point.
- I ran another half-marathon. I felt good about it. I haven't had time or energy to run since, though (see below)
- I have lots and lots and LOTS of projects I want to work on. I hope to have time starting soon.
- I plan to move both kids to their own real beds in the next month. I want to get the Kura bed from IKEA and paint/decorate/hack it somehow. I'm very excited.
- My garden is doing great. I don't have enough time for it, though. I'm doing the best I can.
- I'm working on future career plans. Slowly. Again, see below. I'm too busy right now, but I'm laying the groundwork for what I hope will be a career change. And an actual career when the kids go to real school.
I'm spending all my free time, and have been for the last two months, helping my mom sell her house and now packing her stuff. She has a 6000 square foot house and is a pack-rat. It's been a lot of work. Like a part-time job. She lives 45 minutes away, so it's a long commute to my part-time job, too. It's exhausting. My brother finally showed up, fit as much of his stuff as he could into a full-size moving truck, left what my mom has said is a HUGE mess (I haven't been out there to see it yet), and is gone. He is also a pack-rat. Luckily, I was expecting him to both not be able to fit all his stuff and to leave a huge mess, so he pretty much met my expectations.
Now I'm trying to set up movers, people to haul junk away, a garage sale, a piano mover (I'm taking our old childhood piano, very excited about that), consignment store for all the extra furniture and nice stuff, cleaners, and more. I have also cleaned out a ridiculously full garage (not done yet), and the attic, and the giant library, and brought boxes and boxes of stuff back to my house. Not to mention e-waste to the dump. Let me tell you. I'm exhausted. EXHAUSTED. I desperately need a vacation.
Hence my absence. Again. I hope to do better. I like blogging and writing, and want to get back to it. So here's my list of excuses, and I hope to see you all soon.